Good mental health is crucial to have a good personal and professional life. People face mental issues like depression, anxiety, and mental fatigue due to different reasons. It could be relationship issues or some kind of emotional trauma that causes a decline in mental health. It is vital to know that different communities across the world also suffer due to mental illness.
Racism against people of different colors and creeds is the biggest cause of mental health issues in the US and other parts of the world. Research studies show that a large number of people in the US who reported poor mental health were Asian, Black, or Hispanic.
Many human rights organizations celebrated July as the month of “Minority Mental Health,” but now they have switched to a different title. It has been replaced by the “BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Color)” to address the mental health struggles of different groups. Due to this, healthcare experts have also become able to assess the relationship between different communities and mental health care.
Let’s find out more about mental health issues faced by BIPOC.
1- Racism and Injustice
One of the most common issues that BIPOC faces is injustice and racism, which has a long history, especially in the history of the US.
According to a statistical study, African Americans are 20% more likely to suffer due to mental disorders than the general population.
Therefore, it is crucial for any individual, whether Black or Asian, to consult the relevant treatment center. There have been groups like BIPOC and The Counseling Center Group for such issues. They have great experience in dealing with such cases where people face mental or emotional trauma due to racial discrimination.
2- Internal Stigma of Mental Health
Different research studies have shown that marginalized communities have mental health stigma, which prevents them from getting professional help. For example, African Americans have a long history of resilience as they have faced slavery, so dealing with sadness or anxiety is not an issue. The problem appears when someone fails to recognize the mental illness or faces hesitation to talk about it.
In such situations, the fear of getting judged due to mental illness based on skin color or race can be the biggest obstacle. Some of the communities see mental health issues as personal failures rather than treatable conditions.
3- Not Having Access to Good Care
In the BIPOC community, not many people have access to high-quality care, which leads to mental health issues. If you do not take timely steps to prevent depression or anxiety, it can take a toll on your mental health and can be a threat to your physical health too.
According to a research study, in 2020, 37.1% of Black people got mental health treatment. Also, the language barrier in communication can be challenging for the BIPOC community. A high number of people in the BIPOC community do not speak English, so it makes it really difficult for them to express themselves in a country like the US.
Access to quality mental health care is limited for many native communities. Another research study revealed that 17.7% of Hispanics in the US had no health insurance as compared to White adults. They mostly depend on public coverage or Medicaid, so limited access is one of the major reasons for the poor mental health in the BIPOC community, which needs to be addressed.
4- Lack of Diversity Creates Gap
One of the major causes of mental distress in the BIPOC community is that most of the care providers in the US are white.
According to a statistical study, in 2015, around 86% of psychologists were White. A similar study showed that only 2% of psychologists were Black. This lack of diversity leads to a significant gap in understanding between patients and providers.
It is difficult for mental health experts who do not belong to the BIPOC community to address the relevant issues. Because they can not relate to their lived experiences, they can not understand the impact of discrimination on the mental health of individuals. Eventually, it affects the quality of treatment.
5- Socioeconomic Factors
Socioeconomic disparities are one of the major causes of the lack of availability of treatment options for the BIPOC community. It was revealed in 2018 that 11.5% of Black adults had no health insurance in the US.
Also, the Black community is more likely to suffer due to socioeconomic disparities and face exclusion from health, social, and economic resources. Eventually, this lack of equality leads to worse mental health outcomes.
6- Demographics Issues and Cultural Factors
Demographic issues are another major cause of declining mental health in the BIPOC community. Around 1.3% of the US population is of Alaska Native heritage, and they speak over 200 languages. It creates a communication barrier and makes it difficult to get access to mental health care services.
A large number of native people in the US live in the Western states. Two-thirds of the population now live in urban and suburban areas, so it also makes it difficult to get access to quality care facilities.
It has been estimated that 26.6% of Native Americans live in poverty. Financial instability and unemployment also negatively impact the mental health of individuals. All these factors collectively lead to mental distress, so it is crucial for the relevant government bodies to address the issues in relevant states.
It is crucial for BIPOC who goes through mental health issues to get timely help from the relevant treatment center and healthcare experts. Whether you are Hispanic or Black, you must get the treatment to get rid of mental disorders, so you can focus on your professional and personal life. It will help you excel in your life and also make a positively contribute to the lives of others.
On the other hand, a huge responsibility lies on the relevant healthcare and government organizations to take notice of the mental health issues of the BIPOC community. These issues can not be resolved until relevant government bodies will not take the right initiatives for the betterment of oppressed communities.
- The Benefits of Plastic Surgery by a Surgeon in Fort WayneBroad surgical subspecialties such as plastic surgery aren’t exclusive to only one organ, and this field is constantly re-inventing and changing itself. Various pathologies that can range from cancer, congenital anomalies, degenerative conditions, and trauma are being treated by many surgeons in Fort Wayne that can work alongside other fields like gynecology, neurosurgery, and ophthalmology. […]
- CloudPhysician: The Best Way to Get the Care You NeedIn today’s fast-paced world, access to quality healthcare has become a pressing concern for many individuals. Whether it is the long wait times at clinics or the struggle to find a specialist in a timely manner, traditional healthcare systems often leave patients feeling frustrated and neglected. However, with the advent of technology, a revolutionary solution […]
- Pre-Workout for Recovery: Bouncing Back FasterAs fitness enthusiasts, we often focus on the workout itself and forget about the importance of recovery. We may push ourselves to the limit, but without proper recovery, we risk injury and delay our progress. That’s where pre-workout for recovery comes in. By fueling our bodies with the right nutrients before exercise, we can bounce […]
- 3 Ways to Improve Your Self-ConfidenceYou might be surprised to find how much your confidence can affect your mental health, which in turn plays a huge part in your overall health and well-being. For that reason, it cannot be underestimated as part of a healthy lifestyle. Part of your self-confidence is based on how people react to you; for better […]
- 8 Reasons To Have Lengthening Surgery in TurkeyWithin the ambit of health tourism in Turkey, there are numerous health institutes and hospitals for limb lengthening surgery. These organizations frequently offer a variety of services to patients both before and after surgery. While Turkey has been one of the most popular destinations for health tourism in the last decade, it also plays an […]
- 6 Things To Consider When Looking For The Best MassagesThe realm of massage offers a diverse range of options, each providing its unique benefits and techniques. These treatments are often sought-after for relaxation and self-care. It is crucial to bear in mind that massage experiences can vary greatly. To fully optimize the advantages of your upcoming session, there are various factors you should consider […]