What Is Tiger Milk Mushroom Supplement?
The Lignosus rhinocerotis, popularly known as Tiger Milk Mushroom, is an edible mushroom with high nutritional and medicinal properties. Since edges, these mushroom extracts were extensively used as a health tonic in Southeast Asian countries, including Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, China, the Philippines, and Thailand.
In the South-eastern countries, Tiger Milk Mushrooms are not only popular among the indigenous communities but also widely accepted by the urban populations.
With recent studies clinically proving the healing properties of this mushroom, it is now gaining worldwide recognition as a healthcare supplement.
In fact, in the late 1900s and 60s, it was a common practice among Chinese families to store Tiger Milk Mushrooms in their homes as a remedy for cough, cold, and asthma.
Tiger milk mushroom supplement contains mushroom extracts and various combinations of vitamins and organic extracts.
Description of The Tiger Milk Mushroom
- This mushroom consists of three portions-sclerotium (tuber, most high in medicinal value), stipe (stem), and pileus (cap).
- The fruiting parts of the mushroom (cap and stem) generally originate from the underground tuber, unlike other species from the same family that generate from a woody substrate.
- The cap and stem are generally woody and lack organic elements or nutrients.
- Sclerotium, on the other hand, comprises a compact organic mass of fungal mycelium. This part functions as the primary food reserve.
- The sclerotium is white. A milk-like solution is extracted from this tuberous part.
Since the sclerotium is typically irregular-shaped and remains underground, collecting the cultivated samples is challenging. The rarity and complexity of extracting the sclerotium contribute to the higher price of the supplements.
Interesting Facts about Tiger Milk Mushroom
The tropical forests of Southeast Asia are home to Tiger milk mushrooms. The edible mushroom is an indigenous species found in Malaysia, Thailand, China, Indonesia, and the Philippines.
The traditional story is that Milk Mushroom grows whenever a tigress’ milk drops fall to the ground. And therefore the name- Tiger milk mushroom.
The successful cultivation of Tiger Milk Mushroom was discovered and started in 2016. Before that, it was hard and rare to find.
Most edible mushroom species grow in clusters. However, the Tiger Milk Mushrooms generally grow in isolation.
You would only find one stalk at a time. It was rare to discover another mushroom within a 5km radius. Even if you manage to spot one, chances are that it might have already sprouted out from the ground producing a stem and cap.
These were the non-nutritional parts and therefore lacked any medicinal properties. The beneficial effects were only limited to the underground tuber or sclerotium.
Therefore, the accessibility of these mushrooms was mostly confined to the native communities and failed to reach the general population.
What Should You Look For While Buying Tiger Milk Mushroom?
Various studies have demonstrated 6 clinical healing properties of the tiger milk mushroom. While reading the product description, ensure the following healing properties are listed:
- Immunomodulatory/ Anti-allergic
- Boost Immunity
Product safety is an important aspect. Ensure the product you’re purchasing complies with one or more of the standards:
- SGS Systems Certification
- STANDARDS Certification
- Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia (KMM) certified
- HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) certified
- Non-GMO (Non-Genetically Modified Organism) certification
- MeSTI (Makanan Selamat Tanggungjawab Industri Certification Scheme) certified
- Vegan-friendly standard (only necessary if you follow a vegan diet)
- Gluten-Free certification (vital only if you’re allergic to gluten, else not mandatory)
- No Preservatives certification (not always necessary)
Read the nutritional information about carbohydrates, fats, protein, and other additional ingredients carefully. Certain formulations of tiger milk mushroom supplements might contain milk products. This is specifically important if you’re allergic to certain products or have lactose intolerance.
What can be the best way to know about the product’s benefits than someone already using it? Generally, websites and product pages of the manufacturers feature a dedicated client review/testimonial section.
You can also go through the Google reviews or social media pages of a manufacturing company to understand the product better.
Don’t become a victim of false promises. Ensure to read the benefits of the product before placing the final order. Common benefits of tiger milk mushroom supplements include:
- Alleviates cough and phlegm
- Enhances breathing
- Promotes healthy mucus production
- Manages asthma symptoms
- Improves your immune system
- Relieves respiratory inflammation
- Helps to minimize airway inflammation
- Boosts respiratory wellness
- Improves sinus and lung respiratory system
Tiger Milk Mushroom supplements are gradually gaining popularity among the global population. Ensure to consult a healthcare practitioner in case you’ve any underlying chronic medical disorder.