Sleep apnea is a disorder that many people experience; it causes severe distress to the airways and respiratory system during hours of rest. Fortunately, because it is so well known, medical professionals often treat it with a list of options that all work together to decrease the effects of this dreadful illness. Here are some effective ways to treat chronic sleep apnea, so you can start sleeping better.
Try To Lose Weight
One of the most effective ways to relieve sleep apnea is to lose weight. Excess fat around the neck and throat often blocks or narrows the airway. Obesity is commonly the cause of this excess fat, though there are instances where obesity is not the cause and a blocked or narrowed airway is unavoidable. However, simply altering your lifestyle to prioritize healthy habits can get you where you want to be regarding your sleep.
Daily Exercise Is Key
Getting in shape can do multiple things for you—most notably, you’ll feel better overall. You will get sick less often, which is critical when alleviating sleep apnea. Respiratory illnesses especially have the worst impact on your overall health. Incorporate light exercise into your daily routine to prevent those things from happening.
Only Drink Occasionally
If you like to drink, it might be harder for you to cut back, but the benefits of drinking less will greatly outweigh any cravings you might have. When you drink alcohol, it suppresses the nervous system and can cause sleep apnea symptoms to persist or worsen, causing irregular breathing and choking. It’s always best to drink alcohol in moderation, but you should think about how overindulging might affect your health and sleep.
Nasal Decongestants Can Help
Some over-the-counter medications, such as nasal decongestants, may help treat sleep apnea symptoms, but you should always consult your medical practitioner before purchasing them.
If you’re already on medications, consulting your doctor is imperative because you’d be mixing medicines and could have a severe reaction. See a doctor for your snoring patterns, whether mild or severe, instead of trying to remedy them at home.
Avoid Sleeping on Your Back
Above all else, ensure you’re not sleeping on your back while you sleep. If you have sleep apnea, sleeping on your back will completely close off your airways, causing many problems.
Cutting off the oxygen to your brain for any time can result in a whole host of medical problems, so sleep on your side or stomach if you can.
Effectively treating chronic sleep apnea isn’t easy, but we hope our tips will give you a solid foundation to build from. You can reference these tips any time you have an episode, and consult your doctor often to alleviate your symptoms quickly and get better sleep.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy