Liposuction is a popular form of plastic surgery that removes fat cells from a certain part of your body. The procedure has gained a lot of popularity recently and has overtaken breast augmentation and become the most popular form of cosmetic procedure in the world.
Liposuction, or body contouring, is a minimally invasive procedure used to remove fat. It can be performed on any body part, like the abdomen, upper arms, breasts, and buttocks. This procedure is mostly preferred by individuals who want to achieve a certain look, especially if dieting or exercise hasn’t worked for them. In this article, we cover all the important things you need to consider before getting liposuction.
Things To Consider Before Getting Liposuction
Just like any other surgical procedure, it is necessary to learn as much as you can about liposuction before you decide to get it done. This will help you decide whether the procedure is suitable for you and get an idea of what to expect. So, here are some important things to keep in mind before getting liposuction.
1- You might have to avoid physical intimacy for some time
Whether or not you can have sex after a plastic surgery procedure is a big question that comes to mind. However, people often hesitate to ask their doctors this important question. Even though liposuction is a minimally invasive procedure, you will experience some soreness and swelling afterward. And inflammation from liposuction often takes the longest to go away.
So, whether or not you can have sex after liposuction completely depends on your comfort and recovery. After the procedure, it is normal to experience some pain and discomfort. Your doctor will advise you to refrain from any rigorous physical activity, like sex, just for a couple of days. However, as soon as you feel comfortable enough, you can resume your sex life. However, it is recommended to keep it easy and light just to aid your recovery.
2- Choose the method you want
There are four types of liposuctions you can choose from:
- Tumescent Liposuction.
- Ultrasound Assisted Liposuction (UAL).
- Laser Assisted Liposuction (LAL).
- Power Assisted Liposuction (PAL).
All these methods have different procedures and also differ on the basis of how invasive each procedure is. Other than tumescent liposuction, most of these procedures result in lesser swelling and pain and may have a quicker recovery time as well. However, tumescent liposuction is the most common and preferred type of liposuction. You can discuss each procedure’s pros and cons with your doctor to help you make the right decision.
3- Not a suitable option for weight-loss
While this procedure is excellent for removing excess fat, it is not a weight-loss procedure. This is because liposuction is only suitable for people who are a little above their ideal body weight. And, it mostly targets those areas of fat which cannot be reduced with the help of exercise or diet.
4- Expect some bruising and pain
Some pain and scarring are an inevitable part of cosmetic surgeries. During the surgery, your doctor will administer a suitable form of anesthesia. However, as its effects start to wear off, you can expect to experience some pain and discomfort. But, this can be easily dealt with by taking an over-the-counter painkiller. You can also expect some bruising, swelling, or inflammation at the incision site.
Consequently, your doctor will advise you to rest for a few days and avoid strenuous activities like lifting weights or sports. Nevertheless, most people resume their normal life just a few days after their surgery, depending on how fast they recover.
5- Keep the risks in mind
Just like any other procedure, it is important to consider the risks of liposuction before getting the procedure done. Although liposuction is a relatively safe procedure with minimal risks, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Some risks of liposuction include bagginess, scarring, skin discoloration, or dimpling of the skin. You can talk to your surgeon to learn more about these risks and their chances to help you make an informed decision.
6- Determine your eligibility
Although liposuction is a popular cosmetic procedure, it is not suitable for everyone. The procedure is only suitable for healthy people who are just a little above their ideal weight. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, people within 30% of their ideal weight are good candidates for liposuction.
Your doctor will also assess the condition of your skin to check if it’s elastic and firm. If not, the procedure might lead to skin dimpling, which can damage the results of the procedure.
7- You’ll need to maintain the results
It is important to consider that liposuction is not a permanent weight loss solution. If you want to achieve long-term results, you will need to work for it.
Normally, if you don’t exercise or maintain a healthy diet, you will start to gain weight. And the same will happen even after you get liposuction. So, it is important to exercise, eat healthy and take care of your overall well-being to maintain the results of your cosmetic procedure.
8- No smoking
Non-smokers and non-vapers are the ideal candidates for liposuction. However, if you do smoke, your surgeon will ask you to avoid smoking a few weeks before and after the procedure. This is because good blood circulation is essential for your recovery. However, the nicotine in cigarettes can restrict your blood flow. So, it is necessary to avoid smoking around the time of your procedure, as it can hinder your recovery.
Recent technology and medical advancements have made many things possible for us, like achieving our ideal body shape. And liposuction is the most popular form of plastic surgery used to reduce stubborn fat and help you achieve a slimmer look. However, before getting liposuction, it is important to consider all important factors. This will help you determine whether liposuction is the right choice for you and also give you an idea of what to expect before and after your surgery.
- Top 9 Dental Procedures for Healthy TeethDental health is essential to our well-being, and appropriate dental procedures are crucial in maintaining healthy teeth. From cavity prevention to cosmetic procedures, let’s delve into the realm of dental care to discover the most effective ways to keep our teeth healthy. Learn the top nine dental procedures for preventing oral issues and restoring and… Read more: Top 9 Dental Procedures for Healthy Teeth
- Miles & Mentors: A Runner’s Journey with Expert GuidanceIn distance running, the journey from novice to experienced marathoner is often fraught with challenges, setbacks, and, most importantly, moments of profound personal growth. The guidance of a knowledgeable mentor, particularly a running coach, can be transformative, providing technical advice, emotional support, and motivation. This article explores a runner’s journey with expert guidance. The Role… Read more: Miles & Mentors: A Runner’s Journey with Expert Guidance
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?