There are more than ten million disabled people living in the UK but far fewer properties that have been adapted to meet the needs of people living with disabilities or mobility issues. Here are some tips on how to create a bedroom that is both comfortable and accessible for everyone who uses it.
Opting for bed frames rather than divan styles can help you get closer to the bed with a mobility aid and will make transferring in and out of your bed easier. Ensure that your bed is placed in the room in a way that maximizes floor space around the bed so that you and your mobility aid or carers can easily access it.
You may want to choose a position that allows for space on three out of four sides of the bed so that you have multiple options for getting in and out. Alternatively, you might decide to push one side of your bed against a wall if you’d prefer to be able to lean against it or push onto it without worrying about it moving away from you.
If you have limited space then opting for modular storage with pull-down racks can be a great way to store clothes in a way that keeps them accessible but if you’re looking for a more permanent and sturdy option, wardrobes with sliding doors are a great space-saver and can reduce the likelihood of accidents when trying to avoid open doors.
Consider where your wardrobe will be best placed to allow you to access it and whether you need your clothing and accessories to be accessible from a seated height, for example, if you typically use a wheelchair.
Grab rails are an essential component of making a home accessible and that includes the bedroom. You might want to have grab rails beside your bed for leverage when moving in and out of your bed or to help you adjust your position when in bed. You could also place grab bars near a wardrobe or dressing table to help you feel safe and secure when getting ready for the day.
Not only is laminate or real wood flooring sturdy and easy to clean and maintain but it can be far easier for wheelchairs and other mobility aids, such as rollators and zimmer frames to move across and grip to. Try to avoid thick pile carpets, which will make it very difficult for mobility aids to roll over smoothly, or loose rugs, which can be a trip hazard. Some hard flooring, such as tile can also be hazardous as it becomes very slippery when wet or polished, which can increase the risk of slips, trips and falls.
Instead, opt for durable, even floor surfaces in your accessible bedroom to ensure it’s both safe and comfortable for your needs.
- Why More People Are Using Urgent Care CentersThe healthcare sector is a dynamic one that is constantly changing to suit the needs of patients. For patients in the modern day, urgent care facilities are an excellent illustration of something that was only sometimes present in the healthcare industry. The number of urgent care centers is rising quickly, and it’s no accident that… Read more: Why More People Are Using Urgent Care Centers
- Understanding Comprehensive Food Sensitivity TestingIn today’s health-conscious world, understanding how our bodies react to different foods is crucial. Food sensitivities can be subtle yet impactful, affecting our well-being in various ways. A Comprehensive Food Sensitivity Test, which examines reactions to a wide range of foods, is an invaluable tool in this journey towards better health. This article delves into… Read more: Understanding Comprehensive Food Sensitivity Testing
- Finding Justice In The Pharmaceutical Industry: Prescription Medication Lawsuit GuideEver found yourself or a loved one facing the unexpected side effects of a prescription drug? It’s more common than you think, and navigating the aftermath can be like untangling a ball of string. When medications, which are supposed to help, end up causing harm, knowing your legal rights and options isn’t just smart—it’s essential.… Read more: Finding Justice In The Pharmaceutical Industry: Prescription Medication Lawsuit Guide
- 9 Worrisome Impacts of Stress on Your Health and WellnessStress, in its acute form, can be a useful survival mechanism, triggering the body’s fight-or-flight response. However, when stress becomes chronic, it becomes a silent intruder, seeping into various facets of your life. Sadly, in the modern world, stress has become an unwelcome companion for many. Prolonged exposure to stress can have problematic effects on… Read more: 9 Worrisome Impacts of Stress on Your Health and Wellness
- Introducing GPS trackers for kids with special needsWelcome to the world of GPS tracking for kids with special needs. If you’re a parent or caregiver of a child with special needs, you know the constant worry and fear that comes with not knowing where your child is at all times. With GPS trackers, you can have peace of mind and ensure the… Read more: Introducing GPS trackers for kids with special needs
- Financial Consequences of Gambling Addiction: Rebuilding Your Life After RecoveryGambling addiction is a serious issue that affects millions of people worldwide. While the emotional and psychological toll of this addiction is well-documented, the financial consequences can be equally devastating. This article will delve into the financial devastation often caused by gambling addiction, the importance of getting help from specialists like Birches Health gambling treatment,… Read more: Financial Consequences of Gambling Addiction: Rebuilding Your Life After Recovery