Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is one of Tennessee’s most commonly diagnosed disorders. According to recent estimates from Child Mind Institute, Tennessee has one of the highest ADHD diagnoses at 9.3%. It can be challenging to manage ADHD independently, but many therapeutic approaches can help you manage symptoms better.
ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder that affects the brain’s ability to regulate behavior, attention, and impulse control. It is characterized by inattentiveness, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
Generally speaking, ADHD symptoms are present before age 7 years; however, they often do not become fully evident until school-age children enter an environment that demands self-control and where tasks require sustained mental effort. ADHD is most commonly diagnosed in childhood or adolescence but can continue into adulthood if left untreated.
Overview of ADHD in Tennessee
ADHD is a behavioral disorder that can affect people of all ages. To be diagnosed with ADHD, you must exhibit at least six out of nine signs in two different settings.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that around 6 million children between the ages of 3 through 17 have been diagnosed with ADHD at some point. However, this number may be higher than reported due to underdiagnosis or misdiagnosis.
ADHD patients are considered under Social Security disability in Tennessee, and they receive Social Security Income (SSI). $698 per month is the federal allocation for such people towards benefits. But in Tennessee, it is a bit higher at $733.
Traditional Therapy Approaches for ADHD
There are multiple traditional therapy approaches to help treat ADHD symptoms, and here are a few of them.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a form of therapy that helps people change the way they think, feel, and act. CBT is based on the idea that our thoughts and feelings can affect our behavior. In other words, if you believe something is true, even if it isn’t, your brain will start acting as though it’s true.
Put simply, you can think of CBT as something that can help patients take control over their thoughts and feelings. Since ADHD is all related to unusual thoughts, CBT can prove to be very useful for treating it. This can help patients identify patterns in their behavior over time and work on them accordingly.
For example, someone facing ADHD may not be able to pay attention at work. Through CBT, this individual learns how negative self-talk impacts her productivity at work so she can better manage those feelings when needed.
Behavioral therapies are very effective in ADHD, and that’s why many children are treated using this. Per a study by Spandidos Publications, 46.7% of children receive behavioral treatment. If you know someone who is facing ADHD symptoms and might need help with it, visit a therapist.
Look for local therapists with testimonials and recommendations. For instance, if you are in Nashville, hiring a local firm to have direct contact is best. So, in that case, look for therapy in Nashville and from a firm with good recommendations.
Nowadays, even high authority people are open about their endorsements. Dody Vail, Executive Director of the National Council on Alcoholism of Northeast MS, for example, has endorsed Fair Park Counseling. Having worked in the space for many years, Dody knows the therapy needed in the community.
Psychotherapy, as the name gives out, is a form of treatment that involves talking with a therapist about your thoughts and feelings. Based on the conversations, therapists can help you understand the cause of your problems and how to fix them. Psychotherapy can also help people change their thoughts, feelings, and acts.
The goal of psychotherapy is not just to make you feel better but also to help you improve your life overall by learning new skills for managing stress and finding better ways to cope with life’s demands.
Group therapy is a form of psychotherapy that involves a group of people. It’s a lot like individual therapy but with more people. Group members can benefit from one another’s support and experience as they learn to manage their symptoms, improve their relationships, or achieve other goals.
Group therapy may be appropriate for you if:
– You want to work on your problems in a group setting rather than alone
– You prefer the support of others while working through challenges
Alternative Therapy Approaches for ADHD
Besides the traditional approaches, there are a few alternative approaches for ADHD. But it is vital to remember that alternative therapies are not a replacement for traditional therapies but can be used in conjunction with alternative therapies.
Mindfulness-based therapy focuses on helping control your thoughts by making you calm and focused with mindfulness tactics like meditation. This therapy aims to help people with ADHD learn coping strategies for life stressors.
Mindfulness-Based Therapy sessions usually last about two hours per week for eight weeks and include discussion groups with other patients who also have ADHD or related disorders such as anxiety or depression.
The therapist will teach you how to practice mindfulness techniques throughout your day so you can use them when you feel stressed out by difficult situations at work or school. This helps reduce negative emotions like frustration or anger before they get out of control.
If not mindfulness therapy, even basic mindfulness meditation can help improve ADHD symptoms. A recent study published in the Frontiers Journal shows that mindfulness meditation can support differential aspects of emotional functioning in people with ADHD.
Equine-assisted therapy is a non-medication approach to treating ADHD in Tennessee. In this treatment, an individual with attention deficit disorder works with horses and other animals to improve their social skills and behavior.
Ease into your horse riding experience by taking private lessons or enrolling in an introductory class where you can learn the basics of horseback riding, such as proper saddling techniques, trotting and cantering, jumping over fences, and more.
ADHD is a complicated disorder; finding the right treatment approach can be difficult. It’s important to remember that many different types of therapy can help you manage your symptoms and live a fulfilling life with ADHD. If traditional methods haven’t worked for you or your child, consider exploring alternative therapies, like neurofeedback or equine-assisted therapy.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy
- How to Prepare for Your First Chiropractic SessionIf you’re considering visiting a chiropractor for the first time, it’s important to know what to expect and how to prepare for your initial session. Chiropractic care focuses on spinal care and can provide relief from back and neck pain while promoting overall wellness. By taking a few simple steps to get ready, you can… Read more: How to Prepare for Your First Chiropractic Session
- Managing Chronic Illnesses with Holistic Health StrategiesLiving with chronic illnesses can be a challenging experience, impacting various aspects of one’s life. From physical discomfort to emotional distress, individuals with chronic illnesses often seek effective strategies for managing their conditions. One such approach gaining popularity is the use of holistic health strategies. Holistic health strategies focus on achieving complete wellness by addressing… Read more: Managing Chronic Illnesses with Holistic Health Strategies