Drug abuse of any nature presents itself with a variety of symptoms. Sometimes addicts may try to hide symptoms relating to their health, but it’s the behavioral signs that they can’t hide.
They can’t hide them because it’s hard to hide one’s actions or conduct, especially when dealing with others around you. Psychologists and psychiatrists may refer to behavioral signs as psychological signs because they usually indicate a mental health issue.
It, therefore, makes it important to watch out for changes in behavior when dealing with a person you suspect is involved in drug abuse.
Keep reading to find out more about the behavioral signs of drug abuse.
Behavior Indicators of Drug Abuse
Behavioral problems may vary according to the type of drug that an individual is abusing. For example, the behavioral signs of abusing a sedative may differ from those of abusing a depressant.
However, there’re common indicators that cut across almost all drugs. They include;
– Extreme changes in mood whereby one moment they may be calm, and the next they are aggressive and agitated.
– Neglect of personal hygiene and grooming, especially if they didn’t have the issue before.
– Being secretive, especially when it comes to hiding evidence of drug abuse.
– Indulging in petty theft as a means of funding their drug use.
– Engaging in behavior that puts them at unnecessary risk or puts their life in danger, such as dangerous driving or engaging in unprotected sex.
– Constant fatigue and exhaustion even without doing strenuous work. The individual may also spend a lot of time sleeping off the effects of the drug they’re abusing.
– Becoming a habitual liar, especially when people confront them about drug use.
– Sudden loss of interest in activities that they previously found enjoyable.
Consequences of Change in Behavior by Drug Addicts
Those close to the individual are the most affected when an individual engages in drug abuse. It includes family, close friends, and even workmates. The behavior change results in conflicts that may lead to strained relationships.
Here are ways in which a change in behavior by a person abusing drugs affects their social life.
– Constant conflicts when family and friends identify the cause of the problem to which the individual isn’t ready to give up the abuse of drugs
– Termination of work due to absenteeism or showing up to work while intoxicated
– Family breakdown due to the neglect of parental duties
– Failure to concentrate on school studies, which leads to dropping out of school
When the behavior change causes disruptions in family, school, or career life, it indicates a worsening drug abuse problem.
In such a scenario, consider visiting https://www.americasrehabcampuses.com to find out how to mitigate the adverse effects of any drug abuse.
What to Do if You Notice Behavioral Signs of Drug Abuse
Pay attention to the signs as soon as you notice a change in behavior, especially in a way that negatively affects the individual or the people around them.
Mental health experts say that pretending there’s no problem only worsens it, and you could be blowing the chance to treat the problem in its early stages.
Instead, you should seek the services of an addiction counselor, preferably in a rehab. They will develop a treatment plan for the specific drug abuse problem since the behavioral signs may vary depending on the drug.
- Different Types Of Eye Conditions And The Surgical Treatments AvailableEye conditions can vary in symptoms, intensity, and severity. It’s important to familiarize yourself with different eye conditions and their treatments. If you experience visual impairment or discomfort, visit an optometrist or ophthalmologist for examination and diagnosis. Medical procedures, such as laser surgery or corneal transplantation, may be recommended. Gibran Khurshid MD, will discuss eye… Read more: Different Types Of Eye Conditions And The Surgical Treatments Available
- Understanding Medical MalpracticeMedical malpractice is a complex and sensitive issue that arises when healthcare providers fail to meet the accepted standard of care, resulting in harm to patients. In this article, we delve into the intricacies of medical malpractice, shedding light on the key components, challenges, and the pursuit of justice for those affected. Defining Medical Malpractice… Read more: Understanding Medical Malpractice
- Care for Accident Victims: 6 Essential Healthcare Rights Every Accident Victim Should KnowAccidents, unforeseen and distressing, thrust victims into a realm of physical injuries, emotional turmoil, and myriad challenges on their journey to recovery. In the aftermath of a Texas accident, comprehending your healthcare rights becomes paramount for securing the necessary care and support. This article seeks to illuminate six fundamental healthcare rights, guiding every Texan accident… Read more: Care for Accident Victims: 6 Essential Healthcare Rights Every Accident Victim Should Know
- How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Make Your Recovery Easier?Car accidents are something that can affect you mentally, physically, and of course, financially. It can happen to anyone at any time and anywhere. Those who meet with accidents go through a really tough time. They’re already dealing with physical injuries, and the cost of medical bills also takes a toll on their mental health.… Read more: How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Make Your Recovery Easier?
- Crisis to Recovery: A Comprehensive Examination of Addiction Treatment ModalitiesGetting your diagnosis of drug addiction requires a thorough examination and often includes an assessment by a psychiatrist, a licensed alcoholic, a psychologist, and a drug counselor. Overcoming an addiction and remaining drug-free requires a persistent effort. Most therapists and mental health professionals use criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) for… Read more: Crisis to Recovery: A Comprehensive Examination of Addiction Treatment Modalities
- The Road to Recovery: Exploring the Duration of Rybelsus Side EffectsWhen it comes to managing type 2 diabetes, there are various treatment options available, including medications like Rybelsus (semaglutide). While Rybelsus can be an effective therapy choice, it’s important to understand the potential side effects associated with its use and how long they may last. In this article, we will explore the duration of Rybelsus… Read more: The Road to Recovery: Exploring the Duration of Rybelsus Side Effects