Due to the fact that a truck accident involves a much larger and heavier vehicle, it is common for victims of such collisions to sustain much more severe and extensive injuries than when two vehicles of about the same size are involved in a crash. Trucks can also travel at great speeds which helps in producing much more complex injuries. If you or a loved one are dealing with injuries due to a truck accident, it is important to take the time to concentrate on recovering your health and let McCallister’s truck accident lawyer take care of the legal side of your claim. After all, your health should always come first.
Common Injuries Due to Truck Accidents
Carelessness, exhaustion, or negligence may play a role in a truck accident which can result in the victim sustaining injuries and dealing with unimaginable pain. These injuries may require long-term hospitalization and rehabilitation until full recovery, compromising the victim’s earning capacity, relationships, and other aspects of life. Treatment plans to manage and reduce the severity of these injuries may include medications, surgical interventions, and rehabilitation therapies performed by professionals, such as physical therapists. Some would even seek the expertise of a chiropractor after car accident.
Here are some of the most common injuries that result from such crashes.
Whiplash is the most common injury, even in minor car accidents. When you get hit by a truck the violence with which your head snaps back and forth is even greater. You may get muscle strains, injuries to your tendons or ligaments, and pain that radiates from your head to the top part of your back. Although in some cases whiplash gets resolved within days, in others it can become a long-lasting problem for the victim.
Breaking a single bone is quite painful. When the force of a trucking accident is added to the mix, the opportunity for more than one broken bone increases. Some may be repaired with a cast while others may call for surgery.
The healing period for fractures is about six to eight weeks. However, it can differ depending on the location and type of the affected bone. For instance, a wrist fracture may take four to six weeks to heal, while a leg fracture usually takes 20 weeks or more. When a fracture leads to a disability, especially involving the limbs, rehabilitation therapy is a must to restore range of motion so the patient can walk, drive, or carry out manual machine operation again.
Depending on the type of load that the truck was carrying, you may be involved in an accident in which chemical substances explode. Burns are not only extremely painful but they may cause disfigurement and other permanent damage to the victim. They may also be life-threatening.
The healing time for a first-degree burn may take 10 to 20 days. However, it may take longer if an infection develops. Second- and third-degree burns usually require a skin graft.
Brain and Head Injuries
You may only bump your head against the side of your car or you may end up with a serious concussion. If your brain moves around in your head because of the impact, you may also sustain a traumatic brain injury which can stay with you for the rest of your life. You may also get hematomas, contusions, and hemorrhages.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Injuring your back and spinal cord may have life-altering consequences. If nerves are impacted, they may fail to communicate with other areas of the body, resulting in paralysis and the complete destruction of life as you knew it.
Puncture wounds in trucking accidents are the result of glass shattering and pieces flying about. These deep cuts can create unsightly scarring and disfigurement. It is important to treat these injuries right away since having open wounds may also lead to infections.
Trucking accidents can be so massive and violent that it is not uncommon for people to lose their life. Accidents such as sideswipes or jackknives can cause unimaginable damage to smaller vehicles, giving those inside them little time or a chance to escape. Losing a loved one to a truck accident can impact the entire family, particularly if the breadwinner is gone and there is no other source of income.
Injuries after a truck accident are often serious, resulting in costly medical expenses. Neck, brain, and spinal cord injuries may involve severe nerve damage, which can cause temporary paralysis, long-term complications, or permanent disability. In the worst case, a truck accident can lead to wrongful death. Therefore, getting prompt medical intervention and hiring a personal injury lawyer after a truck accident is crucial.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy