Due to the fact that a truck accident involves a much larger and heavier vehicle, it is common for victims of such collisions to sustain much more severe and extensive injuries than when two vehicles of about the same size are involved in a crash. Trucks can also travel at great speeds which helps in producing much more complex injuries. If you or a loved one are dealing with injuries due to a truck accident, it is important to take the time to concentrate on recovering your health and let McCallister’s truck accident lawyer take care of the legal side of your claim. After all, your health should always come first.
Common Injuries Due to Truck Accidents
Carelessness, exhaustion, or negligence may play a role in a truck accident which can result in the victim sustaining injuries and dealing with unimaginable pain. These injuries may require long-term hospitalization and rehabilitation until full recovery, compromising the victim’s earning capacity, relationships, and other aspects of life. Treatment plans to manage and reduce the severity of these injuries may include medications, surgical interventions, and rehabilitation therapies performed by professionals, such as physical therapists. Some would even seek the expertise of a chiropractor after car accident.
Here are some of the most common injuries that result from such crashes.
Whiplash is the most common injury, even in minor car accidents. When you get hit by a truck the violence with which your head snaps back and forth is even greater. You may get muscle strains, injuries to your tendons or ligaments, and pain that radiates from your head to the top part of your back. Although in some cases whiplash gets resolved within days, in others it can become a long-lasting problem for the victim.
Breaking a single bone is quite painful. When the force of a trucking accident is added to the mix, the opportunity for more than one broken bone increases. Some may be repaired with a cast while others may call for surgery.
The healing period for fractures is about six to eight weeks. However, it can differ depending on the location and type of the affected bone. For instance, a wrist fracture may take four to six weeks to heal, while a leg fracture usually takes 20 weeks or more. When a fracture leads to a disability, especially involving the limbs, rehabilitation therapy is a must to restore range of motion so the patient can walk, drive, or carry out manual machine operation again.
Depending on the type of load that the truck was carrying, you may be involved in an accident in which chemical substances explode. Burns are not only extremely painful but they may cause disfigurement and other permanent damage to the victim. They may also be life-threatening.
The healing time for a first-degree burn may take 10 to 20 days. However, it may take longer if an infection develops. Second- and third-degree burns usually require a skin graft.
Brain and Head Injuries
You may only bump your head against the side of your car or you may end up with a serious concussion. If your brain moves around in your head because of the impact, you may also sustain a traumatic brain injury which can stay with you for the rest of your life. You may also get hematomas, contusions, and hemorrhages.
Spinal Cord Injuries
Injuring your back and spinal cord may have life-altering consequences. If nerves are impacted, they may fail to communicate with other areas of the body, resulting in paralysis and the complete destruction of life as you knew it.
Puncture wounds in trucking accidents are the result of glass shattering and pieces flying about. These deep cuts can create unsightly scarring and disfigurement. It is important to treat these injuries right away since having open wounds may also lead to infections.
Trucking accidents can be so massive and violent that it is not uncommon for people to lose their life. Accidents such as sideswipes or jackknives can cause unimaginable damage to smaller vehicles, giving those inside them little time or a chance to escape. Losing a loved one to a truck accident can impact the entire family, particularly if the breadwinner is gone and there is no other source of income.
Injuries after a truck accident are often serious, resulting in costly medical expenses. Neck, brain, and spinal cord injuries may involve severe nerve damage, which can cause temporary paralysis, long-term complications, or permanent disability. In the worst case, a truck accident can lead to wrongful death. Therefore, getting prompt medical intervention and hiring a personal injury lawyer after a truck accident is crucial.
- Choosing the Right Pharmacy for Your FamilyLiving in the heart of Clarksville, Tennessee, presents numerous choices for every aspect of life. And when it comes to the health and well-being of your family, making an informed decision about which pharmacy to trust becomes essential. Here’s a guide to help you through this choice. 1- Proximity Matters: Convenience in Times of Need … Read more
- Battle of the Boosters: Total War Pre-Workout vs Big Noise Pre-WorkoutAre you prepared to work out more? Pre-workout supplements should boost motivation and focus so you can work harder. The best training gear can be hard to choose with so many possibilities. Simple comparison: Total War Pre-Workout and Big Noise Pre-Workout are the two most popular pre-workout supplements. To help you, we’ll provide each supplement’s … Read more
- GLASGOW’S NADCELL CLINIC: WHERE YOUR HEALH MATTERS MOSTIn the bustling heart of Glasgow, a beacon of healthcare excellence shines bright – the Nadcell Clinic. With a legacy spanning over three decades, Nadcell Clinic has earned its reputation as a healthcare institution where your well-being truly matters. A Commitment to Excellence Nadcell Clinic’s journey began in 1990 when Dr. Nadia Henderson, a visionary … Read more
- What to Look for When Choosing a ChiropractorDo you have that niggling pain in your back or that stubborn stiff neck that just won’t budge? If so, we get it! According to the WHO’s report, In 2020, 619 million people around the world had lower back pain. It’s believed that this number will go up to 843 million by 2050. Shocking, isn’t … Read more
- Mole Removal: When to Refer Patients to DermatologistsMoles are common skin growths that are usually harmless. However, some moles can be a cause for concern, especially if they change in size, shape, or color. In some cases, moles may need to be removed for medical or cosmetic reasons. This is where dermatologists come in. Understanding Moles Moles are growths on the skin … Read more