One of the most effective ways to heal the mind and spirit is by getting out into nature, whether it be through country walks or spending time near water. This is as true for wheelchair users or the able-bodied.
Here are six reasons why having a WAV can boost your mental health:
1) Sense of independence
Owning a WAV can give you more freedom than you can imagine. No more reliance on public transport, it is quicker to get from A to B, you can go out and explore new routes or places, and you are free not to spend money on taxis or buses. It’s easy to find a used wheelchair accessible vehicle for sale if you look online.
2) Greater sense of control
While some people might take more control than others, many disabled people feel that a lack of involvement in setting the pace of life has made them feel less than in control in many aspects of their lives. This feeling leads to worse mental health and frustration. However, having a WAV frees you from being a passenger. You’re in control of what’s happening.
3) Greater sense of confidence and being in charge
Being part of the human race, we all want to feel like we are part of something bigger than ourselves. Having a WAV affords this and gives you a sense of belonging to the wider human community. You like knowing that someone else is out there with you who understands what it is like to be disabled.
4) Improved quality of life
If you are disabled and the only way you can get out into the world is in a wheelchair, then you might lose out on opportunities to see different people, see the world around you and perhaps even make new friends. However, with a WAV, you can go out into your local town or city to explore new places.
5) Enhanced self-esteem
Having a WAV affords disabled people an opportunity to get involved in their own lives. They can feel more empowered and active in their own lives, they can make choices that they wouldn’t make without this level of independence.
6) Access to nature
With a WAV comes the freedom to visit more distant locations. Trips to nature sites such as national parks are no longer considered impossible. Time spent in nature has proven to reduce stress and improve mental health by enabling the body to access the same benefits as spending time in the great outdoors.
Being part of society, the human race, and being able to use your body freely is a good thing. What you lose in one area (your mobility), you can make up in others (your independence). However, if you are wheelchair-bound and unable to see the world beyond your local town or city, then activities such as gardening and spending time with friends can be difficult without access to transport.
For these reasons above and many more, getting a WAV will help improve your mental health and will allow you the freedom to enhance other areas of your life.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy