Stereotypes, embarrassment, and ignorance are causing men to overlook their health, which results in shorter life expectancy, greater pressure on healthcare, and diminished quality of life.
Unfortunately, many men believe they must appear invincible to others, which can cause them to skip medical appointments, ignore potential health issues, and avoid treatments. Yet, it is possible to encourage men to become more open, honest, and proactive through education and improved awareness. Find out how to change attitudes about men’s health.
Say Goodbye to Stereotypes
According to the Global Early Adolescent Study, many gender stereotypes embed in girls and boys before 10 years old. By the time boys reach ten years old, they will start to believe they need to appear strong and independent. This belief can cause personal and health issues later in life, as it may increase their risk of substance abuse or physical violence.
Addressing and changing stereotypes during a child’s formative years could potentially protect their physical and mental health throughout their teenage years and adulthood. Banishing stereotypes could save lives, transform self-esteem, and help men and women enjoy a better quality of life.
A recent survey found that 37% of men have withheld information from their doctors as they didn’t feel ready to handle a potential diagnosis if they told the truth. Another 65% also reported they avoid visiting a doctor for as long as possible.
It is not only fear of a diagnosis that can prevent men from visiting a doctor, but they might feel embarrassed to discuss a potential issue or play it down. For example, if a man suffers from premature ejaculation, they might feel ashamed to discuss the problem with their doctor. Rather than seeking ED treatment to restore their sexual function, they might suffer in silence, which can impact their happiness, romantic life, and self-esteem. Yet, it is an issue that affects millions of men and help is available to improve their sex lives.
Greater awareness of common health issues is needed to ensure many men feel comfortable discussing them with healthcare practitioners. With the advancement of technologies, many healthcare providers can introduce tools and tactics to help men report medical issues in a safe, supportive environment.
Overcoming Superhero Syndrome
Millions of men may have already accepted gender stereotypes, and they might believe they are invincible or want to avoid appearing weak to their loved ones or medical professionals. Despite wanting to appear as strong as a superhero, many men are susceptible to physical and mental health issues that they must address head-on.
Ignoring health issues or medical help will cause men’s problems to spiral, as they are more likely to commit suicide than women, and diseases might not be caught until the advanced stages. Healthcare providers must strive to change the narrative around men’s health to ensure they are more likely to visit a doctor for a diagnosis and treatment. Changing men’s attitudes towards their health will not always feel easy for healthcare providers, but the above tactics could encourage more men to shake off stereotypes, overcome their fears, and seek treatment when needed.
- The Importance of Fetal Heart MonitoringFetal heart monitoring should not cause worry but rather give patients peace of mind about their pregnancy. Understand the importance of monitoring until birth. Fetal heart monitoring is a procedure that uses ultrasound to assess the condition of the fetus and its wellbeing. If you have spent time around obstetrics, you may have heard a […]
- 3 Common Effects of StressThe pace of life in the modern world can be overwhelming at times. We live in an era where our working days are heavily reliant on technology, which leads to increasingly efficient ways of work, but also results in greater workloads. As a result, the working week can often become quite exhausting, and we just […]
- How To Nurse An Elderly Back To HealthYou were once the future dream of your parents, and now it is your responsibility to take care of them. Nursing is a role that is full of responsibilities and maturity. We cannot put our family members into the hands of some people who are not able to nurse the person properly. There is a […]
- How to Change Attitudes About Men’s HealthStereotypes, embarrassment, and ignorance are causing men to overlook their health, which results in shorter life expectancy, greater pressure on healthcare, and diminished quality of life. Unfortunately, many men believe they must appear invincible to others, which can cause them to skip medical appointments, ignore potential health issues, and avoid treatments. Yet, it is possible […]
- Best Surrey Dentist Office that Treats Adults and ChildrenWhat Exactly Does Family Dentistry Entail? Dentists that specialize in family dentistry are qualified to give dental treatment to patients of all ages, from children to adults, if the patients so choose. This enables the dentist to maintain an accurate record of the patient’s previous dental treatment as well as their current need for dental […]