One of the factors that present the perfect smile is a good set of teeth. They help in boosting self-worth and confidence and significantly improve the person’s morale. Fortunately, there are medical experts now that help with oral problems. However, what are the types of dental health issues? What is considered severe, and what is the most common?
Basic knowledge related to this will help you as a patient determine what could have caused it and prevent doing the same things in the future. To help you, here are five common types of dental problems and their causes.
Toothache (Dental Emergency)
Toothache is usually the result of gum irritation, and the pain subsides eventually. However, sometimes severe toothaches will need treatment by a dental professional to help with the pain. That’s why finding the best available dentists near you is always crucial.
According to the American Dental Association, nearly 5% of all emergency room visits in the United States are due to dental problems. Meanwhile, in Australia, it is estimated that around one in six people will experience a dental emergency at some point in their lives.
If you are experiencing any of these problems, it is important to seek dental assistance immediately. For example, if you’re from Newcastle, look for a reputable dentist in Newcastle who can provide excellent dental treatment services, especially for dental emergencies. Depending on the severity of the problem, you may be seen by a general dentist or an oral surgeon. In some cases, you may even need to go to the hospital for treatment.
They will conduct a physical exam and make a thorough assessment, like how severe the pain is or when it started, where it’s located, and the like. If necessary, they might check your sinuses, ears, and neck or have you undergo an x-ray.
The primary treatment for toothache is filling the cavity and, in worst cases, tooth extraction. A bit pricier option, but one of the most effective solutions would be a tooth canal surgery. Unfortunately, it’s only possible if the dentist determines that the infection reaches the tooth’s nerve.
The process can take several hours or a couple of visits and can be expensive. Thus, finding a reliable dentist that can make a proper assessment is crucial.
Tooth decay, also known as tooth cavities, is a primary dental problem that people of all ages experience. People usually report toothaches, bad breath, and pain when drinking or eating hot or cold foods. This pain is due to the breaking down of the tooth, which can result in cavities, and holes that you’ll observe in a person with it.
Bacteria cause tooth decay in dental plaque by converting the sugar from your food into acids. If plaque builds up over time, these acids will eventually damage your teeth. The worst-case scenario for tooth decay is tooth loss or nerve damage. That’s why dentists always recommend maintaining good oral hygiene.
Periodontitis (Gum Disease)
Periodontitis is a severe infection in the gums that damages the surrounding soft tissue and might eventually destroy the bone that supports your teeth. If this happens, there’ll not be enough bones to keep your teeth together, and you might lose a tooth.
If you have periodontitis, you might experience bleeding gums and bad breath. Pus between your teeth and gums can become frequent and swollen, and bright red to purplish gums become apparent. The most discomforting of all is that you’ll have a painful time chewing foods, which can lead to loss of appetite and result in other health problems.
One of the treatments would be cleaning the pockets around the teeth to prevent any infection of the bone. Proper dental hygiene will also be suggested, and if necessary, you’ll also be prescribed antibiotics or any required medication to control bacterial infection.
Tooth sensitivity is something that healthy teeth should never experience. It’s when you feel pain or extreme discomfort when you bite an ice cream or drink something hot. Sometimes it gets worse, and it can react to even brushing your teeth. It can be a temporary or chronic problem resulting from an exposed tooth root or worn tooth enamel. It can be caused by a cavity, gum disease, chipped tooth, or a worn tooth filling.
If you visit a dentist, they’ll again make a thorough assessment and rule out any underlying causes of tooth discomfort. Then, they might recommend desensitizing toothpaste to block the pain caused by sensitive teeth, or they might apply fluoride to sensitive areas to strengthen the worn enamel. Another option would be a root canal, which is, as mentioned, a procedure that will directly treat the core of your teeth.
Mouth sores are another common type of oral problem that affects the soft tissues of your mouth. It has different types and usually occurs in any part of the mouth, including your lips, tongue, inner cheeks, or bottom. Mouth sores are usually caused by irritation and sometimes an infection from a virus or, worst case, mouth cancer.
People who have mouth sores may feel tenderness in their mouth, a tingling, or maybe burning before the actual sore appears. To explain it simply, a mouth sore is a lesion that forms in your soft oral tissue. To name a few, here are the most common types of mouth sores:
- Cold Sores. These are usually referred to as fever blisters caused by herpes simplex virus and are highly contagious. They usually appear near the mouth and lips in colors red or darker. The affected area might feel like a burn before the sore appears.
- Canker Sores. These are also known as mouth ulcers. Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not contagious and usually disappear in ten to 14 days. It’s usually a minor irritation and appears oval-shaped with gray, white, or yellow colors and surrounded by a red halo of irritation.
- Gingivostomatitis. This sore can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection resulting from poor oral hygiene. This sore usually affects children and appears on gums or inner cheeks.
Now that you have a better understanding of the most common types of dental problems, you may be able to recognize the type of dental issue your dentist might raise. As such, you can ask other things that confuse you with the disease to understand further how you’ll care for your oral health.
- My Online Medical Supplies: Ensuring Quality Products For Incontinence CareLosing control of your bladder can be a stressful and embarrassing problem, especially if you already have a severe illness that affects your health. You may have a condition such as Parkinson’s disease, brain tumor, spinal injury, or urinary stones, which can cause or worsen your incontinence. Additionally, you may be experiencing life changes such… Read more: My Online Medical Supplies: Ensuring Quality Products For Incontinence Care
- Why More People Are Using Urgent Care CentersThe healthcare sector is a dynamic one that is constantly changing to suit the needs of patients. For patients in the modern day, urgent care facilities are an excellent illustration of something that was only sometimes present in the healthcare industry. The number of urgent care centers is rising quickly, and it’s no accident that… Read more: Why More People Are Using Urgent Care Centers
- Understanding Comprehensive Food Sensitivity TestingIn today’s health-conscious world, understanding how our bodies react to different foods is crucial. Food sensitivities can be subtle yet impactful, affecting our well-being in various ways. A Comprehensive Food Sensitivity Test, which examines reactions to a wide range of foods, is an invaluable tool in this journey towards better health. This article delves into… Read more: Understanding Comprehensive Food Sensitivity Testing
- Finding Justice In The Pharmaceutical Industry: Prescription Medication Lawsuit GuideEver found yourself or a loved one facing the unexpected side effects of a prescription drug? It’s more common than you think, and navigating the aftermath can be like untangling a ball of string. When medications, which are supposed to help, end up causing harm, knowing your legal rights and options isn’t just smart—it’s essential.… Read more: Finding Justice In The Pharmaceutical Industry: Prescription Medication Lawsuit Guide
- 9 Worrisome Impacts of Stress on Your Health and WellnessStress, in its acute form, can be a useful survival mechanism, triggering the body’s fight-or-flight response. However, when stress becomes chronic, it becomes a silent intruder, seeping into various facets of your life. Sadly, in the modern world, stress has become an unwelcome companion for many. Prolonged exposure to stress can have problematic effects on… Read more: 9 Worrisome Impacts of Stress on Your Health and Wellness