Over 15,000 lawsuits are filed annually in the United States due to medical malpractice and at least a third of these are attributed directly to surgical errors. When patients undergo surgery to address a medical issue, they place their trust in the medical professionals overseeing the procedure. While everyone makes mistakes, surgical patients expect safety protocols to minimize or completely prevent medical errors.
Unfortunately, surgical errors can cause permanent damage and sometimes be life threatening. While most surgical errors are accidental, they are still devastating. Surgical malpractice attorneys represent victims of surgical malpractice to help hold the medical staff responsible for their serious injuries or illnesses. Here’s what you need to know about filing suit with surgical malpractice attorneys.
What is surgical malpractice?
Almost any surgical error that causes harm can constitute surgical malpractice, so it can take many forms. Medical professionals are trained to take specific crucial steps before, during, and after surgeries to minimize patient risk. While accidents do happen, medical staff can sometimes cut corners or behave carelessly putting patients in harm’s way.
When the surgical staff deviates from the accepted standard of care, the results can be devastating and permanent, sometimes even lethal. Surgical malpractice attorneys represent those patients who have fallen prey to serious injury or illness due to the negligence or wrongdoing of surgical staff. They help victims recover compensation to pay for ongoing medical care, lost wages, loss of consortium, disfigurement, and more.
Common Causes of Surgical Malpractice
Each surgical patient and procedure is unique, requiring a specific surgical plan and aftercare. Surgeons and medical staff are required to consult with patients, take critical notes and measurements, mark and clean the surgical site, and provide adequate follow-up care after the procedure. Unfortunately, critical steps are sometimes missed causing harm to the surgical patient. Some of the most common causes of surgical malpractice include:
- Lack of Communication
- Surgical Team Fatigue
- Individual Carelessness
- Defective Equipment
- Drug or Alcohol Use
Surgical malpractice cases can be complex. Surgical malpractice attorneys must prove that the surgeon or surgical staff deviated from the accepted standard of care and that deviation directly caused serious harm or illness to the patient.
Statute of Limitations
Most surgical malpractice lawsuits must be filed within a certain period of time, called a statute of limitations. Every state is different and has its own statute of limitations regarding surgical malpractice lawsuits.
For instance, in California surgical malpractice victims must file suit within 1 year of discovering the injury or within 3 years of the injury occurring. In New Jersey the statute of limitations is 2 years. If you feel you’ve been the victim of surgical malpractice, you should consult with surgical malpractice attorneys immediately and consider filing suit as soon as possible.
Partner with Skilled Surgical Malpractice Attorneys
Experienced surgical malpractice attorneys represent victims who have suffered serious illness or injury resulting from surgical malpractice. Unfortunately, surgical malpractice can permanently alter the course of someone’s life with devastating effects. If you or a loved one have been the victim of surgical malpractice, consider partnering with surgical malpractice attorneys who can represent your interests and fight for your rights.
You may be able to recover compensation for your injuries while holding the careless surgical staff accountable for their actions. No amount of money can make up for the harm you’ve suffered but it can help you get adequate medical care for your injuries and finally move on with your life in a positive fashion.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy
- How to Prepare for Your First Chiropractic SessionIf you’re considering visiting a chiropractor for the first time, it’s important to know what to expect and how to prepare for your initial session. Chiropractic care focuses on spinal care and can provide relief from back and neck pain while promoting overall wellness. By taking a few simple steps to get ready, you can… Read more: How to Prepare for Your First Chiropractic Session