Over 15,000 lawsuits are filed annually in the United States due to medical malpractice and at least a third of these are attributed directly to surgical errors. When patients undergo surgery to address a medical issue, they place their trust in the medical professionals overseeing the procedure. While everyone makes mistakes, surgical patients expect safety protocols to minimize or completely prevent medical errors.
Unfortunately, surgical errors can cause permanent damage and sometimes be life threatening. While most surgical errors are accidental, they are still devastating. Surgical malpractice attorneys represent victims of surgical malpractice to help hold the medical staff responsible for their serious injuries or illnesses. Here’s what you need to know about filing suit with surgical malpractice attorneys.
What is surgical malpractice?
Almost any surgical error that causes harm can constitute surgical malpractice, so it can take many forms. Medical professionals are trained to take specific crucial steps before, during, and after surgeries to minimize patient risk. While accidents do happen, medical staff can sometimes cut corners or behave carelessly putting patients in harm’s way.
When the surgical staff deviates from the accepted standard of care, the results can be devastating and permanent, sometimes even lethal. Surgical malpractice attorneys represent those patients who have fallen prey to serious injury or illness due to the negligence or wrongdoing of surgical staff. They help victims recover compensation to pay for ongoing medical care, lost wages, loss of consortium, disfigurement, and more.
Common Causes of Surgical Malpractice
Each surgical patient and procedure is unique, requiring a specific surgical plan and aftercare. Surgeons and medical staff are required to consult with patients, take critical notes and measurements, mark and clean the surgical site, and provide adequate follow-up care after the procedure. Unfortunately, critical steps are sometimes missed causing harm to the surgical patient. Some of the most common causes of surgical malpractice include:
- Lack of Communication
- Surgical Team Fatigue
- Individual Carelessness
- Defective Equipment
- Drug or Alcohol Use
Surgical malpractice cases can be complex. Surgical malpractice attorneys must prove that the surgeon or surgical staff deviated from the accepted standard of care and that deviation directly caused serious harm or illness to the patient.
Statute of Limitations
Most surgical malpractice lawsuits must be filed within a certain period of time, called a statute of limitations. Every state is different and has its own statute of limitations regarding surgical malpractice lawsuits.
For instance, in California surgical malpractice victims must file suit within 1 year of discovering the injury or within 3 years of the injury occurring. In New Jersey the statute of limitations is 2 years. If you feel you’ve been the victim of surgical malpractice, you should consult with surgical malpractice attorneys immediately and consider filing suit as soon as possible.
Partner with Skilled Surgical Malpractice Attorneys
Experienced surgical malpractice attorneys represent victims who have suffered serious illness or injury resulting from surgical malpractice. Unfortunately, surgical malpractice can permanently alter the course of someone’s life with devastating effects. If you or a loved one have been the victim of surgical malpractice, consider partnering with surgical malpractice attorneys who can represent your interests and fight for your rights.
You may be able to recover compensation for your injuries while holding the careless surgical staff accountable for their actions. No amount of money can make up for the harm you’ve suffered but it can help you get adequate medical care for your injuries and finally move on with your life in a positive fashion.
- Consumer Preferences and Feedback on Food Packaging in RestaurantsAs consumers become more environmentally conscious, the demand for eco-friendly food packaging has increased. Many restaurants are taking steps to meet these demands, however, there are various factors that determine consumer preferences for food packaging. In this article, we will discuss consumer feedback and preferences for food packaging, with a focus on pizza boxes bulk. […]
- The Impact of Drug Abuse on the Human Body: Exploring the Consequences with Scientific EvidenceDrug abuse is a grave issue that affects individuals from all walks of life, causing detrimental consequences to both physical and mental health. Understanding the impact of drug abuse on the human body is crucial in highlighting the severity of the problem and emphasizing the importance of prevention and intervention. In this blog post, we […]
- 10 Tips to Help You DetoxDetoxing has become a popular trend in recent years, as people seek to rid their bodies of toxins and impurities. Detoxing can take many forms, from juice cleanses to fasting to eliminating certain foods from your diet. However, it’s important to approach detoxing with caution, as not all methods are safe or effective. In this […]
- The Benefits of Prebiotic and Probiotic Supplements for a Healthy GutAre you tired of feeling bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable after every meal? Are you constantly battling diarrhea or constipation? If this sounds like you, then it’s time to consider taking prebiotic and probiotic supplements for a healthy gut. These supplements can work wonders on your digestive system, providing numerous benefits that will leave you feeling […]
- The Complete Body Transformation: How to Get in the Best Shape of Your Life in LondonAre you ready to embark on a remarkable positive mental boosting journey and achieving the best shape of your life? Look no further than a laser sharp customised body transformation London. So, why customise it? Simply because one size fits all doesn’t work and never this. Then, maybe you are at a stage in your […]
- The Importance of Aftercare: Continuing Support After TreatmentRehabilitation treatments can effectively provide the help and support someone needs to successfully recover from addiction. However, treatment doesn’t stop with aftercare; it is important to continue care even after the individual has left rehab through activities such as 12-Step programs or therapy. Aftercare helps provide structure for everyone who has undergone rehabilitation. It also […]