The average health care admin role has a salary of $70,000, though it varies greatly depending on experience and qualifications. This is partly due to the heavy responsibility that comes with the role.
Health care admin responsibilities can include running entire facilities. They oversee the care of thousands of people, and the finances that make it all possible.
If you want to make admin your health care career, how can you start preparing for and qualifying for this role? We’ve created this brief guide to explain the career paths!
Read on to learn how to become a health care admin in 2023.
1. Get Your Degree
To begin, you need to obtain the right degree. The bachelor’s degree route options include:
- Health care administration
- Health care management
- Business administration
- Organizational management
A health care management degree in particular is suited for a smooth transition into work. It focuses on strategies and practices already used by professionals in the workplace.
You can also study a related field and later re-angle your career toward health care admin. For example, some train and qualify to become nurses first. Then, once working, they transition to the administration side of things.
2. Get Real-World Experience
Almost all institutions now require experience for entry-level work, including health care admin. And our third step – a master’s program – may also expect it. How can you obtain the experience you need to start your career?
Of course, look around for health care admin work that will accept new graduates. But if there aren’t any roles in your area, look for similar work.
For example, consider working in human resources or billing. And if there are admin internships available, get that experience under your belt too.
3. Complete a Master’s Program
A bachelor’s degree is all that’s usually required as a qualification to work as a health care admin. However, many people complete a master’s program to stand out from the crowd.
Especially if you’re interested in advancement, this extra qualification is usually expected. In fact, it’s so common for those who advance to have a master’s that it’s almost become a prerequisite for promotion.
Ultimately, you don’t need this qualification for entry-level work. But it can start your career in the right direction, and save you from going back to school years later.
More Health Care Admin Advice
Once you’ve started your healthcare admin career, where should you focus next? There are always ways to continue self-development and keep advancing your career.
Besides a master’s program, consider pursuing industry certifications. Each of these focuses on different areas, such as financial management or quality of care. These certifications can open up bigger and better opportunities to develop professionally.
But for now, focus on the first three steps to get you started! And for any more medical careers or career development advice, search “careers” on our site.
- Strategies for Reducing Healthcare CostsIn the labyrinth of modern healthcare, navigating the corridors of cost reduction without compromising patient care is akin to threading a needle in a tempest. As healthcare systems grapple with the Herculean task of trimming the fat without nicking the muscle, the quest for financial sustainability becomes ever more pressing. This article delves into the… Read more: Strategies for Reducing Healthcare Costs
- A Beginner’s Guide to Different Types of Lab VialsLet’s dive into the fascinating world of lab vials! These little containers might seem simple, but there’s more to them than meets the eye. Vials come in all shapes and sizes. Each is designed for specific experiments and substances. From the common screw-top vial to the sophisticated lyophilization vial, each type has a story to… Read more: A Beginner’s Guide to Different Types of Lab Vials
- The Dos and Don’ts of Dental Office Interior Design: Mistakes to Avoid for a Professional SpaceHey there! Are you currently contemplating the idea of crafting a warm and inviting space for your dental office? It is worth noting that the ambiance of your office holds greater significance than you might imagine! So, let’s embark on a journey to explore the essential dos and don’ts of dental office interior design. By… Read more: The Dos and Don’ts of Dental Office Interior Design: Mistakes to Avoid for a Professional Space
- Practice Nurses: Key Responsibilities For Enhancing Patient SatisfactionPractice nurses are crucial members of the healthcare system in the United States. Their knowledge and skills go beyond medical expertise. They extend to patient experience, which can affect overall health outcomes. If you are thinking of being a nurse in general medical practice, this article is for you. We will walk you through the… Read more: Practice Nurses: Key Responsibilities For Enhancing Patient Satisfaction
- Collaboration in Healthcare: Why it’s Vital to Systems in the USFrom a young age, we are all taught how to work as a team. Effective teamwork benefits everyone. From promoting better problem-solving skills and providing opportunities for growth and development, to creating a shared sense of purpose leading to more innovative ideas. As our lives get busier and our individual roles become increasingly demanding, the… Read more: Collaboration in Healthcare: Why it’s Vital to Systems in the US