Digestive disorders are among the commonest health issues you may encounter in everyday life. Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) is a potentially distressing digestive ailment that harms your gut health. The condition can be a normal nuisance as well as an alarm for some severe digestive problems.
Looking at the cure options, probiotics have come a long way in bringing positive results.
The following article throws light on the credibility of using probiotics for the treatment of SIBO symptoms.
SIBO: Definition and Symptoms
SIBO, or Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth is a condition when a sufficiently large amount of bacterial growth occurs in the small intestine. The right spot for such growth is your colon. The disorder may also result from food poisoning, decreased quantities of stomach acid, frequent use of antibiotics, etc.
In most SIBO patients, the condition is accompanied by gastrointestinal issues. The promptly experienced symptoms include constipation, heartburn, diarrhea, bloating, gas, etc. The non-gastrointestinal symptoms of SIBO include anxiety, fatigue, and allergies.
Diagnosis and Treatment
SIBO is generally diagnosed with a stool or breath test, along with the examination of some clinical symptoms. Antibiotics are a common treatment for SIBO without harming the microbiota in the lower gastrointestinal tract. The treatment is, however, long-term and expensive. Probiotics have emerged as effective alternatives to these medicines.
Probiotics for SIBO: What’s the Impact?
Probiotics are being used for treating SIBO as a counterproductive cure. These are a class of micro-organisms that help in the betterment of digestive health. Consuming probiotics for SIBO mobilizes the growth of good bacteria in the gut to promote gastrointestinal motility. This leads to the replacement of SIBO-causing bacteria.
The healthy microbiota is restored, and hydrogen is produced in limited amounts. The cumulative effect is the reduction and elimination of SIBO symptoms. Probiotic treatment for SIBO needs a well-devised plan and expert advice for getting the best results.
Types of Probiotics for SIBO Treatment
Research shows that multispecies probiotics are the most effective in treating SIBO. While there are a host of supplements available, there are three main groups of probiotics. These are Saccharomyces Boulardii, Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria blends, and Soil-based probiotics.
This is non-pathogenic and transient yeast that supports the transit time of regular bowel movements. It alleviates SIBO symptoms by stimulating brush border enzyme activities in the small intestine. The probiotic also improves the uptake of electrolytes and water by augmentation of intestinal absorption of sodium and D-glucose. This is quite beneficial in controlling SIBO-induced diarrhea.
The yeast probiotic also helps in treating SIBO by increasing the concentration of short-chain fatty acids in the stool. This is vital for nourishing mucosal cells in the colon. It further improves digestive immunity and promotes a healthy inflammatory response.
Lactobacillus and Bifidobacteria Blends
This class of probiotics is a multispecies hypoallergenic formula that is composed of 12 different probiotic species. The powerful blends support the diversity and health of gut bacteria by supplying transient and colonizing strains. This leads to a healthy inflammatory response, along with a balanced microbiota.
The Lacto-Bifido supplements help increase the number of live microorganisms in the small intestine and GI tract. You should, however, consume these probiotics under expert medical advice and in the prescribed dose. Ignoring these facts may lead to harmful side effects as well.
Soil-based probiotics are a hypoallergenic blend of 2 genetically approved species of bacteria. These are B. subtilis, and Bacillus coagulans, which promote immune function and gastrointestinal health. These species occur naturally on the earth.
This is a unique class of probiotics that stimulates the growth of balanced and healthy microbiota. These supplements do not need refrigeration and are free from gluten, soy, and casein. Soil-based probiotics have a long and stable shelf-life, without any pronounced side effects.
Studies prove the capability of probiotics to eliminate SIBO symptoms. They are a reliable treatment for this digestive disorder if consumed with expert consultation. The caution helps to avoid possible side effects. If you want to learn more about probiotics, you might be interested in this guide where we explain if protein powder should contain probiotics.
- Respironics System One Foam FiltersContinuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) therapy has revolutionized the treatment of sleep apnea providing individuals with a reliable solution to maintain open airways during sleep. Central to the efficacy of CPAP machines are their filters which play a crucial role in ensuring that the air delivered to users is clean and free of contaminants. Among… Read more: Respironics System One Foam Filters
- Ensuring a Swift Recovery: Essential Tips and TricksRecovering from surgery or injury can be a challenging journey, fraught with the uncertainty of how to best navigate the path to wellness. It requires not only the body’s natural healing processes but also a proactive approach to care and rehabilitation. The key to a swift and effective recovery lies in understanding the essential practices… Read more: Ensuring a Swift Recovery: Essential Tips and Tricks
- Fitness Foundations: Essential Tips for Building a Lasting Workout RoutineEmbarking on a fitness journey is akin to constructing a building; the strength of the foundation determines the longevity and stability of the structure. In the realm of personal health and fitness, establishing a solid workout routine is crucial for enduring success. However, navigating the vast ocean of advice, workout plans, and diet suggestions can… Read more: Fitness Foundations: Essential Tips for Building a Lasting Workout Routine
- How to Succeed as a Behavioral Health SpecialistMore often than not, the most rewarding jobs are those that allow you to make a difference instead of those that pay substantially. While there’s nothing wrong with making a large amount of money, many people choose roles that help them connect with others and get their lives on track. Becoming a behavioral health specialist… Read more: How to Succeed as a Behavioral Health Specialist
- Top 9 Dental Procedures for Healthy TeethDental health is essential to our well-being, and appropriate dental procedures are crucial in maintaining healthy teeth. From cavity prevention to cosmetic procedures, let’s delve into the realm of dental care to discover the most effective ways to keep our teeth healthy. Learn the top nine dental procedures for preventing oral issues and restoring and… Read more: Top 9 Dental Procedures for Healthy Teeth
- The Role of Infusion Therapy in Managing Chronic ConditionsLiving with chronic conditions poses numerous challenges for individuals, often requiring ongoing medical intervention to alleviate symptoms and improve quality of life. Among the diverse range of treatment modalities, infusion therapy has emerged as a crucial component in managing chronic conditions. In this article, we delve into the various aspects of infusion therapy and its… Read more: The Role of Infusion Therapy in Managing Chronic Conditions
- Miles & Mentors: A Runner’s Journey with Expert GuidanceIn distance running, the journey from novice to experienced marathoner is often fraught with challenges, setbacks, and, most importantly, moments of profound personal growth. The guidance of a knowledgeable mentor, particularly a running coach, can be transformative, providing technical advice, emotional support, and motivation. This article explores a runner’s journey with expert guidance. The Role… Read more: Miles & Mentors: A Runner’s Journey with Expert Guidance
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024