A tumultuous few years have placed strains on people’s mental health like rarely before.
Despite increasing numbers of people seeking medical help for mental health concerns, it is estimated that 75% of those who do suffer from these conditions go untreated.
Help is out there for anyone suffering from poor mental health but awareness levels can be low among much of the public.
What can counselling help with?
Counselling and talking therapy can assist with a wide range of conditions. Often, discussing symptoms such as low mood, tiredness, heightened anxiety and more can lead experienced counsellors and their patients to the root causes of these issues.
Mental health conditions with which counselling can help include:
– Anxiety and personality disorders
– Eating disorders
– Emotional issues
– Illness caused by stress
Counsellors can also provide services to those navigating difficult life events, such as bereavement, separation from a partner and job loss.
What are the different types of counselling?
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to counselling. Indeed, those who receive treatment may be offered a combination of different therapies.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
This form of talking therapy aims to break down mental barriers that may be manifesting themselves in harmful ways. CBT typically focuses on your current situation, rather than trying to reframe past traumas.
Cognitive Analytic Therapy
CAT is counselling that attempts to work on your current relationship through the lens of previous experiences and events, typically from your childhood.
This form of treatment focuses on your subconscious mind and how it guides your behaviour. In many cases, a therapist will seek discussions about childhood experiences that may have since been forgotten.
Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT)
The influence of others in your life could be the root cause of mental health struggles and this form of counselling seeks to determine which of these relationships is causing you harm.
Often referred to as family therapy or couples’ therapy, this treatment seeks to uncover issues between close people that often go unsaid.
Finding the right counsellor for you
One of the biggest concerns when opting for a counsellor or therapist is your level of comfort with them on a personal level.
You must have an open mind to what the therapist is trying to achieve and a high level of trust that the sensitive information that you are sharing will remain between just the two of you.
There are also several factors at which you can look when comparing counsellors. Therapists that have the right level of insurance may offer you extra reassurance.
Please note, the general advice in this article is not designed to provide medical assistance. If you are suffering from symptoms of a mental health condition, please contact a doctor immediately.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy