A tumultuous few years have placed strains on people’s mental health like rarely before.
Despite increasing numbers of people seeking medical help for mental health concerns, it is estimated that 75% of those who do suffer from these conditions go untreated.
Help is out there for anyone suffering from poor mental health but awareness levels can be low among much of the public.
What can counselling help with?
Counselling and talking therapy can assist with a wide range of conditions. Often, discussing symptoms such as low mood, tiredness, heightened anxiety and more can lead experienced counsellors and their patients to the root causes of these issues.
Mental health conditions with which counselling can help include:
– Anxiety and personality disorders
– Eating disorders
– Emotional issues
– Illness caused by stress
Counsellors can also provide services to those navigating difficult life events, such as bereavement, separation from a partner and job loss.
What are the different types of counselling?
There’s no one-size-fits-all approach to counselling. Indeed, those who receive treatment may be offered a combination of different therapies.
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
This form of talking therapy aims to break down mental barriers that may be manifesting themselves in harmful ways. CBT typically focuses on your current situation, rather than trying to reframe past traumas.
Cognitive Analytic Therapy
CAT is counselling that attempts to work on your current relationship through the lens of previous experiences and events, typically from your childhood.
This form of treatment focuses on your subconscious mind and how it guides your behaviour. In many cases, a therapist will seek discussions about childhood experiences that may have since been forgotten.
Interpersonal psychotherapy (IPT)
The influence of others in your life could be the root cause of mental health struggles and this form of counselling seeks to determine which of these relationships is causing you harm.
Often referred to as family therapy or couples’ therapy, this treatment seeks to uncover issues between close people that often go unsaid.
Finding the right counsellor for you
One of the biggest concerns when opting for a counsellor or therapist is your level of comfort with them on a personal level.
You must have an open mind to what the therapist is trying to achieve and a high level of trust that the sensitive information that you are sharing will remain between just the two of you.
There are also several factors at which you can look when comparing counsellors. Therapists that have the right level of insurance may offer you extra reassurance.
Please note, the general advice in this article is not designed to provide medical assistance. If you are suffering from symptoms of a mental health condition, please contact a doctor immediately.
- Choosing the Right Pharmacy for Your FamilyLiving in the heart of Clarksville, Tennessee, presents numerous choices for every aspect of life. And when it comes to the health and well-being of your family, making an informed decision about which pharmacy to trust becomes essential. Here’s a guide to help you through this choice. 1- Proximity Matters: Convenience in Times of Need … Read more
- Battle of the Boosters: Total War Pre-Workout vs Big Noise Pre-WorkoutAre you prepared to work out more? Pre-workout supplements should boost motivation and focus so you can work harder. The best training gear can be hard to choose with so many possibilities. Simple comparison: Total War Pre-Workout and Big Noise Pre-Workout are the two most popular pre-workout supplements. To help you, we’ll provide each supplement’s … Read more
- GLASGOW’S NADCELL CLINIC: WHERE YOUR HEALH MATTERS MOSTIn the bustling heart of Glasgow, a beacon of healthcare excellence shines bright – the Nadcell Clinic. With a legacy spanning over three decades, Nadcell Clinic has earned its reputation as a healthcare institution where your well-being truly matters. A Commitment to Excellence Nadcell Clinic’s journey began in 1990 when Dr. Nadia Henderson, a visionary … Read more
- What to Look for When Choosing a ChiropractorDo you have that niggling pain in your back or that stubborn stiff neck that just won’t budge? If so, we get it! According to the WHO’s report, In 2020, 619 million people around the world had lower back pain. It’s believed that this number will go up to 843 million by 2050. Shocking, isn’t … Read more
- Mole Removal: When to Refer Patients to DermatologistsMoles are common skin growths that are usually harmless. However, some moles can be a cause for concern, especially if they change in size, shape, or color. In some cases, moles may need to be removed for medical or cosmetic reasons. This is where dermatologists come in. Understanding Moles Moles are growths on the skin … Read more