There are several hurdles that children need to overcome as they grow up and these hurdles are going to vary from child to child. One thing that a lot of toddlers struggle with is learning to speak – not only learning words and their meaning but also being able to sound out the words that they know as well. This is referred to as having a speech sound disorder.
What Is a Speech Sound Disorder?
Simply put, a speech sound disorder is a blanket description which gets used to refer to a child’s difficulty with forming, learning, and using the sounds and sound patterns within their language. These become clear as a child reaches toddler age and if your child is showing signs of a speech sound disorder, then it may be worth seeking the assistance of a speech pathologist ndis.
A speech development disorder can indicate several challenges with motor speech. This is where a child has trouble with moving the muscles in their face which need to be moved to produce speech. They might also have reduced coordination when they are attempting to speak as well.
What Are the Symptoms of a Speech Sound Disorder?
Having a speech and sound disorder can manifest in several different ways. It usually depends on what factors are leading to the challenge, or how extreme the disorder is. Some of the most common symptoms that indicate your child might have a sound speech disorder include the likes of:
– Your child removing a sound from a word.
– Including an unnecessary sound in a word.
– Replacing sounds which are hard to pronounce with an easier alternative.
– Have trouble pronouncing the same sound in different words.
– Repeating certain words and sounds.
– Unnecessary lengthening of words.
– Pausing whilst speaking.
– Tension when sounds are being produced.
– Head jerks when speaking.
– Blinking when speaking.
– A sense of shame when speaking.
– Noticeable differences in voice pitch.
– A raspy voice.
– Running out of breath when speaking.
How Are Speech Sound Disorders Diagnosed?
To diagnose a speech sound disorder, a speech-language pathologist can determine whether a child has some kind of speech-sound disorder. The guidelines surrounding a diagnosis require that:
– The child experiences persistent difficulty with producing certain sounds.
– The symptoms outlined above appear earlier on in the child’s development stages
– The disorder limits communication and, as such, the child struggles with the likes of social interaction, and achieving academically, and it could limit their job roles in later life.
– The disorder in question is not being caused by any other conditions that the child may have, for instance, a congenital disorder or an acquired condition, such as hearing loss, can lead to further issues with speech. Any hereditary issues, it should be noted, are not included in this guideline.
If you’re worried that your child may have a speech sound disorder, then the best course of action is to contact a professional.
- Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024Welcome back, fitness enthusiasts! As we step into the promising landscape of 2024, it’s time to lace up those Lagree socks and kickstart the year with a renewed commitment to our fitness goals. As you already know, December is the time to reflect on our Lagree progress and set specific fitness goals for the upcoming… Read more: Revamping Your Fitness Regimen: Lagree Resolutions for 2024
- Understanding Alcohol Abuse and AddictionWhat is alcohol abuse? Alcohol abuse refers to drinking patterns that cause harm to one’s health, relationships, or ability to work. This includes binge drinking and chronic heavy drinking. Potential effects are liver disease, accidents, conflicts with loved ones, mental health issues like depression, and reduced life quality. Recognizing alcohol abuse early enables seeking help… Read more: Understanding Alcohol Abuse and Addiction
- How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?Slip and fall accidents can result in severe injuries, leading to long-term disability for the victims. When such incidents occur in Chicago, understanding how to prove long-term disability is crucial for seeking compensation and ensuring justice. In this guide, we’ll delve into the steps involved in proving long-term disability in slip and fall injuries in… Read more: How to Prove Long-Term Disability in Slip and Fall Injuries in Chicago?
- Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX BootcampNursing is a vital and challenging profession. As nursing students gear up for the NCLEX bootcamp – they face a test that is both a rite of passage and a gateway to their careers. Succeeding in the bootcamp NCLEX is not just about academic prowess. It’s a test of endurance, resilience, and a strategic mindset.… Read more: Tips and Tricks for Success in Surviving and Thriving in NCLEX Bootcamp
- Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical TherapyLiving with pain can feel like a never-ending battle where relief seems just out of reach. It’s like having your own personal rain cloud that follows you around, even on the brightest days. But a beacon of hope shines in the healthcare landscape, where practices like Austin Preferred Integrative Medicine offer more than just a quick fix.… Read more: Targeting Pain: Conditions Treated by Chiropractic Services and Physical Therapy
- How to Prepare for Your First Chiropractic SessionIf you’re considering visiting a chiropractor for the first time, it’s important to know what to expect and how to prepare for your initial session. Chiropractic care focuses on spinal care and can provide relief from back and neck pain while promoting overall wellness. By taking a few simple steps to get ready, you can… Read more: How to Prepare for Your First Chiropractic Session