Every year over 100,000 people die in hospitals because of adverse drug reactions involving pharmaceuticals. This number only accounts for a fraction of the more than 2 million serious adverse reactions reported annually. Since these numbers are only recorded in hospitalized patients, preventable adverse drug reactions are likely largely underreported.
People who suffer from serious adverse drug reactions often partner with a pharmaceutical lawyer who can fight for their rights and hold the drug companies accountable. Serious pharmaceutical injury cases are costly and complex. It takes the skills and experience of a comprehensive pharmaceutical lawyer to litigate these cases and help you recover the compensation you need to move on.
Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN)
Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis is a rare condition caused by an adverse reaction to certain drugs, such as anticonvulsants or antibiotics. It affects the skin and mucous membranes. Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis often begins as an unsightly irritating rash that later turns into nasty painful blisters.
Beyond painful oozing blisters, the skin sometimes peels off and can lead to further complications like dehydration, respiratory struggles, and extreme infections. While Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis is rare, it is fatal in about 30 percent of cases. If you or a loved one contracted TEN due to an adverse drug reaction, partner with a skilled pharmaceutical lawyer who will fight for your rights.
Stevens-Johnson Syndrome (SJS)
Stevens-Johnson Syndrome is very similar to toxic epidermal necrolysis, but it covers a smaller area of the skin. If less than 30 percent of the body surface is covered, then the illness is called Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. The syndrome causes painful blistering as well as sloughing of the skin and mucous membranes.
Patients endure symptoms similar to severe burns and are often treated in the burn unit. Organ failure, blindness, and death are not uncommon in patients with Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. Suppose you or a loved one have suffered an adverse drug reaction that led to Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. In that case, it is essential that you contact a pharmaceutical lawyer with the extensive experience and expertise necessary to adequately represent you.
Adverse Drug Reactions
Pharmaceutical lawyers often handle multiple adverse drug reaction cases. While TEN and SJS are among the most serious, they are not the only cases requiring skilled representation. Other serious adverse drug reactions can include anaphylactic shock, sepsis, organ failure, and internal hemorrhaging, depending on the type of drug administered and the health of the patient at the time of ingestion.
Metabolic or cardiovascular complications from adverse drug reactions tend to be serious and sometimes life-threatening. They can cause severe long-term damage, which may not be reversible. These unfortunate consequences are sometimes caused by interactions with other drugs the patient has taken so it’s important to talk with your physician extensively before starting any new medications.
Partner with a Skilled Pharmaceutical Lawyer
Serious adverse drug reactions are on the rise. Unfortunately, so are the cases of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome and Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis. Serious adverse drug reactions can have tragic and life-altering consequences, many of which may not be reversed. If you or a loved one have suffered a serious adverse drug reaction, seek the counsel of a skilled pharmaceutical lawyer immediately. They will listen to your story and help you fight for your rights as a victim as you hold the responsible parties accountable.
- 10 Tips to Help You DetoxDetoxing has become a popular trend in recent years, as people seek to rid their bodies of toxins and impurities. Detoxing can take many forms, from juice cleanses to fasting to eliminating certain foods from your diet. However, it’s important to approach detoxing with caution, as not all methods are safe or effective. In this […]
- The Benefits of Prebiotic and Probiotic Supplements for a Healthy GutAre you tired of feeling bloated, gassy, and uncomfortable after every meal? Are you constantly battling diarrhea or constipation? If this sounds like you, then it’s time to consider taking prebiotic and probiotic supplements for a healthy gut. These supplements can work wonders on your digestive system, providing numerous benefits that will leave you feeling […]
- The Complete Body Transformation: How to Get in the Best Shape of Your Life in LondonAre you ready to embark on a remarkable positive mental boosting journey and achieving the best shape of your life? Look no further than a laser sharp customised body transformation London. So, why customise it? Simply because one size fits all doesn’t work and never this. Then, maybe you are at a stage in your […]
- The Importance of Aftercare: Continuing Support After TreatmentRehabilitation treatments can effectively provide the help and support someone needs to successfully recover from addiction. However, treatment doesn’t stop with aftercare; it is important to continue care even after the individual has left rehab through activities such as 12-Step programs or therapy. Aftercare helps provide structure for everyone who has undergone rehabilitation. It also […]
- The Power of Restorative Treatments: Regain Your Dental ConfidenceDental anxiety is a common phenomenon that can affect people of all ages. Whether it is due to a past traumatic experience or a fear of needles, dental anxiety can keep individuals from seeking necessary dental care. As a result, oral health issues can worsen over time, leading to more complex and costly dental treatments. […]
- Oxygen Supply: Empowering Health and VitalityIn the midst of a global health crisis, there is a growing awareness of the importance of maintaining a high level of physical health and well-being. At the heart of this awareness lies the essential role of a constant supply of oxygen to the body. Adequate oxygenation is critical for the normal functioning of every […]