Whether you are in a long-term relationship or enjoying being single with the occasional hook-up, if you want to avoid pregnancy, then you need to be aware of the most effective ways to do so.
It’s worth noting that in the 20th Century, many kinds of contraception were developed to help couples to prevent pregnancy. While some of these methods are more effective than others, the only surefire way to prevent pregnancy 100% of the time is to abstain from sex altogether unless you are in a same-sex relationship.
So, this is a very short guide to the contraceptive options available to prevent pregnancy, but there are many more.
The most commonly known barrier method is the male condom, followed closely by the female condom, the diaphragm, and the cervical cap.
The male condom has to be placed on the erect penis before intercourse occurs. It has to be the right size and worn the right way. Be sure to squeeze the tip when putting it on. When used properly, they are 80% effective at preventing pregnancy.
The female condom is placed just inside the vaginal opening before sex. Like the male option, sizing is important, but they are less widely available. They are estimated to be 79% effective.
Condoms can break even when used properly, so if you find yourself pregnant and need advice on your next step, head to gcaus.com.au for help.
There are four kinds of hormonal options to prevent pregnancy, although, at present, a male contraceptive pill is being developed.
The contraceptive pill is found to be 99% effective at preventing pregnancy if taken at the same time every day. There are two kinds of pills; the combined pill, which contains estrogen and progesterone to mimic pregnancy, and the mini pill, which only contains progestin as the cerelle pill which prevents ovulation.
A contraceptive patch delivers hormones into the bloodstream via the skin and can be placed on the back, buttocks, stomach, or upper arm. This will need to be changed every 3 weeks.
Intrauterine devices (IUDs) are long-term contraceptive options and are deemed to be 99% effective at preventing pregnancy because human error is removed from the process.
A hormonal-based IUD, or Mirena coil, lasts five years before it needs to be replaced. It works by thickening cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering the womb.
Copper-based IUDs can last for ten years and work by simply introducing the sperm in the womb to copper, which destroys it and reduces the risk of pregnancy.
This option is 99% effective for preventing pregnancy.
Implants are placed in the body, usually in the inner and upper arm, and slowly release hormones into the body. They are around the size of a matchstick and will need to be replaced once every 3 years.
Day After Options
Of course, if you have sex without protection or have concerns that your contraception has failed, you can always opt for the morning-after pill. This works best when taken the day after you have had unprotected sex and is up to 80% effective at preventing pregnancy on the first day. It acts by thinning the cervical lining to prevent implantation and can prevent an egg from being released.
- Telemedicine providers in UAEAre you looking for doctors who can give you online medical consultation through a video call, chat, or even a phone call ? The occurrence of the Covid-19 pandemic imposed social distancing as a new concept in our society, and it is expected that the demand in UAE for remote medical consultations will increase, for … Read more
- Regular caffeine consumption might cause memory lossWho doesn’t want to get a boost during the day, all of us need a shot of a stimulant while we are starting our day, going to work, or need more concentration. Caffeine is dominant for this mission worldwide, it’s present in our daily consumed beverages like coffee, tea, energy drinks, and cola. a lot … Read more
- Top 3 Reasons Patients Don’t Enroll in Clinical Trials WorldwideIf you have been in or near the research industry for any period of time, you know that there is a huge gap between the patients we need and the patients interested in pursuing clinical research.
- How to overcome covid loneliness with AIAfter the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, many people were forced to stay at home, as part of the preventive quarantine measures implemented by many countries, which generated a feeling of loneliness and social isolation for most of them, and increased their need for someone to talk to and give him their feelings and what … Read more
- How Can Clubhouse App benefit Healthcare Sector?At all times, the technology market brings us new applications in an enormous quantity, some of which see the light of spread and distinction, and some of them whose light appears but quickly disappears, and perhaps the last of these technologies is the Clubhouse voice chat application. This application is based on the invitations system, … Read more